Join us at this after school Biotechnology club to test out fun labs and build your lab skill set!
This Biotechnology Club is a FREE after school science program for Round Lake High School students where students can experience hands on biotechnology labs. The goal of the program is to expose students to cutting-edge research and engage them in authentic scientific practices. The program will provide students with lab and scientific thinking skills that will help to prepare them for STEM careers. Student's participation in the program will provide them real-world experiences to help them see themselves as scientists and subsequently pursue careers in STEM fields.
This program will resume Fall 2021 and is open to all Round Lake High School students and will meet 2-3 times a month. Materials, food, teacher stipend and other associated costs will be provided by The Baxter Center.
- Program Start: Check back Fall 2021!
- Details Dates: Check back Fall 2021!
- Cost: Free
- Location: Round Lake High School
- Provider: The Baxter Center for Science Education at Northwestern University & Round Lake High School
- Contact: Mrs. Marshalla & Natalie Bueno at email@example.com
Skills attained through the Biotechnology Club:
Lab Prep Skills:
- Pipette Practice
- DNA Gel-Electrophoresis
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Restriction Digest
- Weighing and Measuring
- Lab Safety
- Lab Cleaning and Maintenance
- Labeling and Organization
Scientific Thinking Skills:
- Asking questions and defining problems
- Forming hypothesis and predicting outcomes
- Following a protocol
- Designing and carrying out an experiment
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Making and interpreting graphs and charts
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Check back Fall 2021!