Facilitator: Mary Clark, (Whitney M. Young Magnet High School)
Time: 8:30am - 3:30pm
Location: Lindblom Math & Science Academy 6130 S. Wolcott Ave. Chicago, IL 60636
This workshop is an opportunity for teachers to explore a variety of NGSS-aligned, hands-on labs selected to introduce and reinforce basic concepts in their high school biology classroom. Participants will learn how to incorporate 21st-century lab skills & practices including pipetting, culturing bacteria, and DNA gel electrophoresis into their curriculum in a meaningful way.
- Pipetting Practice
- Candy Dye Gel Electrophoresis
- Antibiotic Resistance Investigation
- DNA Damage & Repair
- Genotype to Phenotype: an introduction to the PTC Taster Lab
- Zombie Apocalypse: using ELISA to trace an epidemic to its source
- Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration with Algae Beads
Teachers are trained in multiple lab activities and earn access to free lab materials and loaner equipment through the Baxter Box program.
Participants earn 6 CPDUs.